Wrinkling My Brow, Again. Over RTI (response to intervention)

Wrinkling My Brow, Again, Over Education




The SPED leaders at my school disappeared one morning, and I thought like the other teachers, they had gotten sick this first 5 weeks of school. Something was going around. It was the Flu, virus, and strep throat!



But it turned out they were attending a mandatory reminder about being compliant. We are a charter school and we are both part of New Mexico State and our own charter sort of district, and we follow a lot of what Albuquerque Public Schools do too.  Point being, the two ladies had stuff to share with me, the E.A. who used to be an English teacher, but they had me listen in separately to their pearls of wisdom.

The one who keeps going back to school to get more certifications rambled on about what she learned.

Image result for pendulum swing GIF


RTI. It is called Response to Intervention.
I had been searching for "Tier One" and "Tier Two" intervention as it related to special education and how I help the kids. But I got mixed up when I saw there are TWO fancy words. The various web sites all say that RTI does not equal Special Ed, and is not "look they are doing RTI..." but it is an intervention style or steps. It just all makes me furrow my brow.
Image result for response to intervention

She kept talking about this one kid who has a 504 but she / he is getting all this tracking and forms and watching and helping. Which is all great but....we have tons of kids that I help, we help.

What happened to the old, we help all students?



 And those who need more help, well, heck we are flexible and help them too!

One website does help with high school kids and those adults who help them. Basically, it says front-load kids, let them enjoy education and let them have some choice, providing a give and take about how they are doing:

High quality academic instruction will not be enough if students are so disengaged that they fail to receive the instruction due to excessive absenteeism and/or behavior problems. Thus, effective instruction will include strategies that keep students engaged, such as beginning lessons by priming background knowledge; providing students with a choice of assignments, texts, and topics; providing opportunities for peer collaboration; and supporting students in setting reasonable yet ambitious goals and providing progress-monitoring feedback to them as they strive to achieve those goals.

See Also << http://www.rtinetwork.org/learn/rti-in-secondary-schools/rti-literacy-secondary-schools

If I got you lost, here is the best explanation / website I have found so far!   See also << https://www.understood.org/en/school-learning/special-services/rti/understanding-response-to-intervention

Comments